The Portuguese Federation of VET and Employment Centres for Disabled People (FORMEM) decided to prepare a document summarising its 25 years of existence and forecasting its future direction. It was prepared in 2016 as part of a project jointly funded by the National Institute for Rehabilitation (Instituto Nacional para a Reabilitação). The IEFP president underlined its importance, as it is an outcome of broad dialogue among social partners, associates of FORMEM and other VET providers that promote vocational training for those with disabilities.
The main goals of the State of art 2016 are to analyse and submit proposals for the reorganisation of VET, and to revise current employment support for those with disabilities, improving their opportunities for socio-professional inclusion. The document contextualises current activity in Portugal, discusses the organisation and functioning of VET, including the trainees’ views, and offers specific suggestions on future developments. It also analyses and reflects on the methodologies that have been used to integrate those with disabilities into the labour market. Testimonies from people with disabilities are also incorporated in the document.
Currently, FORMEM curries out several actions ():
- supports internships, protected employment and subsidised employment contracts (Contratos de Emprego Apoiado em Mercado Aberto - EAMA);
- supports people with disabilities, through initial and continuing vocational training courses promoted by specialised VET providers, to obtain a qualification;
- supports those with disabilities to (re)enter and remain in the labour market;
- subsidises, through the Supporting products assignment system (SAPA), people with disabilities to buy, adapt or repair specialised equipment, devices, products or technical systems essential for training, employment and career progression;
- gives awards/ certifications to enterprises that follow inclusive practices, and people with disabilities that create enterprises or are self-employed.
By publishing the State of art 2016, FORMEM expects to contribute to developing new policies and programmes for those with disabilities.
Apresentação pública de estudo sobre «A Formação Profissional e Emprego de Pessoas com Deficiência e Incapacidades»
Cadernos FORMEM, N.º 7 (2016) Edição Especial - O Estado da Arte da Formação Profissional e Emprego de Pessoas com Deficiência e Incapacidades