With a budget of nearly EUR 42 million, a statewide training programme is now being implemented for its second year addressed to improve the skills and employability of young people under 30.
The current economic crisis and unemployment rates in Spain are particularly affecting young people. To improve chances of entering or remaining in the labour market and to increase job skills, a new call for proposals has been launched to support training projects covering delivery of training in either subjects linked to obtaining professional certificates, or other training linked to subsequent hiring by companies.
With a budget of EUR 41 921 905 and an execution period running from October 2012 through September 2013, the Spanish Public Employment Service has established three types of training actions:
- training activities including traineeships that meet specific needs or requirements of vocational qualifications in economic sectors with better prospects for growth and employment;
- training activities including commitment to hiring youngsters by companies;
- training actions linked to obtain professional certificates.
Compared to 2011’s similar call for proposals, a commitment by companies to hire youngsters and the possibility for duly registered public or private training centres to apply for funding have been introduced.
Scholarships and grants to participants
Unemployed youngsters participating in this programme will have access to scholarships and grants, on the basis of conditions specified for each case.
Main results from the previous call
Participation in the first programme launched in 2011 amounted to more than 33 000 young individuals, of which 99.7% were unemployed and 0.3% were working. Approximately 30% participated in training actions related to professional certificates while the remaining 70% did so in other training actions.
The average duration of training was somewhat over 286 hours per person.
The areas with the highest volume of participants in training linked to a professional certificate were social care and information/management/communication, with 24.1% and 22% respectively.
In training activities not related to professional certificates, marketing/public relations with 11.6% and administration/audit with 11.2% prevailed during the entire execution period.
Applications submitted under this call will be processed through a specific software made available on the website of Fundación Tripartita para la Formación en el Empleo (Tripartite Foundation for Training in Employment): www.fundaciontripartita.org
Legally established for public tenders, the grant award procedure shall be conducted on a competitive basis, respecting the principles of objectivity, equality, transparency and publicity.