UNESCO will celebrate its 60th anniversary during 60 weeks, from 5 September 2005 - 4 November 2006. Each week is devoted to a theme. Among the 60 themes identified, 16 are dedicated to education.
Since its creation in 1945, UNESCO has worked to improve education worldwide. The first week (05/09 - 09/09) of the 60th anniversary is dedicated to an overriding priority in education, the 6 goals of Education for All.
These goals establish an ambitious agenda for meeting the learning needs of all children, youth and adults by 2015.
- Goal 1 - Expand early childhood care and education
- Goal 2 - Ensure universal primary education
- Goal 3 - Promote learning and life skills for young people and adults
- Goal 4 - Improve adult literacy by 50 per cent
- Goal 5 - Eliminate gender disparities
- Goal 6 - Enhance educational quality