Eligibility criteria to participate in the Scheme (intended beneficiaries) are (1) people pursuing work on flexible terms of employment and (2) employers willing to employ such people:
(1) People applying to join the scheme should be aged 15 or more, citizens of the Republic of Cyprus (RoC) or any other Member State of the Union. Citizens from other countries are eligible provided they have residence and work permission from the RoC and furthermore, have been legally residence in Cyprus for at least 12 months prior to the date they submit their application. Additionally, for a person to participate in the Scheme, he/she must be economically inactive and be either:
- a woman, not having worked for at least 12 of the last 16 months
- at least 50 years old, not having worked for 12 of the last 16 months
- a parent whose children are under the age of 16
- a person who has the care of dependent children/persons with disabilities or chronic health problems that require constant care
- an unemployed person, who is referred to the scheme by the Department of Labour and are in need of work with some form of flexible arrangement.
(2) Employers could be any national stakeholder (employers/industrialists organization or trade union) or any business / organization who fulfil the following criteria:
- located in areas controlled by the Republic of Cyprus
- meet the conditions for state aid under the Regulation on de minimise aid, and operating in any sector of the economy except companies engaged in fisheries and aquaculture or primary production of agricultural products
- are not in difficulty, within the meaning of the Community guidelines on State aid for rescuing and restructuring firms in difficulty
- have all their Social Insurance obligations settled
- meet the following conditions:
(i) They shall create a new job position (or positions) with flexible arrangements, representing a net increase in the number of workers relative to the average of 12 months preceding the date of hiring a person through the scheme. Due to the economic financial crisis, the period of 12 months is reduced to 6 months only for the first year of the operation of the scheme.
(ii) When the proposed job position does not represent a net increase in the number of employees, then offered job must concern new duties or functions that did not previously exist in the company or in the department in which the position is created.
(iii) the person they hire to fill a flexible job post meets the criteria set out as above in (1).
Expected benefits to the beneficiaries of the Scheme:
(1) Employees: In addition to giving the opportunity to unemployed persons to become active in the labour market, the Scheme allows for transport subsidy for the cost of moving to and from their place of work. This allowance is granted directly to employed persons for a period of 12 months for the initial call and 6 months for the following ones.
(2) Employers: A financial grant is provided to companies/organizations for the salary costs of persons recruited by them into flexible jobs for the purpose of encouraging employers to create such jobs and recruit interested persons who meet the eligibility criteria, for a period of 12 months for the initial call and 6 months for the following ones.