The Manpower Employment Organisation (OAED) is the Greek Public Employment Service (PES) is the main authority operating and supervising most schools offering the EPAS apprenticeship scheme. EPAS schools, will operate until school year 2020-2021 under the current institutional framework.
The operation of OAED is based on the following three pillars: (i) promotion of employment; (ii) unemployment insurance and social protection of maternity and family; (iii) vocational education and training. OAED is the public authority and central structure managing:
- Active Labour Market Policies (ALMPs) for reducing unemployment, promoting employment, and vocational training for both unemployed and employed citizens.
- Passive Labour Market Policies (PLMPs) concerning unemployment insurance measures (regular unemployment benefit) and other social security benefits and allowances (family allowance, maternity allowance etc.).
- ALMPs for initial vocational education combined with on-the-job training (including through the EPAS Apprenticeship scheme).
More specifically, OAED is a legal entity of public law supervised by the Hellenic Ministry of Labour, Social Insurance, and Welfare. It is directed by its Governor and Administrative Board.
Composition of the Administrative Board is based on the principle of tripartite representation, since, not only state bodies but also employer and employee associations participate in it, as representatives of the social partners.
OAED structure consists of the Central Administration, seven Regional Directorates, the network of local Public Employment Services (PES) –also known as Employment Promotion Centres (KPA2) –, and its educational units (EPAS, IEK and KEK).
Given the expansion of VET and apprenticeship provision through various schemes at various levels, in the national strategic framework regarding the expansion of VET system, coordination of VET governance, including apprenticeships, is promoted through the establishment of the National Committee and the Technical Committee for VET. In particular, according to the law 4485/2017 (article 79):
- The purpose of the National Committee for VET is the coordination and monitoring of the implementation of the actions for upgrading of Vocational Education and training, including apprenticeships, as well as the support to the initiatives by the Ministries of Education and Labour on major issues of their competence related to the implementation of these actions.
- The Purpose of the Technical Committee for VET is to support the work of the National Committee for VET, to monitor the implementation of the National Strategic Framework for the upgrading of Vocational Education, Training and Apprenticeship and to make proposals/ submissions to the National Committee, concerning matters related to apprenticeship. The Technical Committee of VET, for the implementation of its competences, as appropriate:
- Considers the Development Priorities of the country on a national, regional and local level
- Takes into account the suggestions of the Regional Committees of VET, any apprenticeships associations, the social partners and other stakeholders,
- Considers the outputs of the Labour Market Needs Analysis Mechanism of the Ministry of Labour, Social Security and Social Solidarity
The National and the Technical Committee consist of Ministry and national institutions representatives and covers all VET, including apprenticeships.
For apprenticeships in particular, the National Apprenticeship Coordinating Body was also established aiming to improve the institutional framework for apprenticeship and the design, implementation and evaluation of apprenticeship schemes. It includes social partners, employers' and employees' organizations and local authorities - in addition to the representatives of the Ministry of Education representatives of the Ministry of Labor and OAED.