Training allowance (compensation for lost wages and travel grant)
- Name of the instrument - Local language
- Name of the instrument - English translation
- Training allowance (compensation for lost wages and travel grant)
- Type of instrument
- Grant for companies
- Grant for individuals
- Type of entry
- Single instrument
- Short description
Individuals receive State funded reimbursement of their costs for education and training. General conditions for eligible groups are that they must be employed at the time of applying for training and that their educational background should not exceed general vocational training unless qualifications have not been in use for the past 5 years. The eligible education and training activities include single subject-courses or part time education in IVET and CVET. If the individual is paid by his/her employer during the training period the company may apply for reimbursement of the wage costs (from AUB). If the individual is not paid during the training period, he/she is entitled to wage compensation up to DKK 3 308 per week. Travel costs may also be covered.
- Short description of the related instruments
- Level of operation
- Name of a part of the country
- Name of the region (for regional instruments)
- Name of the sector (for sectoral instruments)
- Key scheme
- Legal basis
Godtgørelsesloven ("Act on Reimbursements")
- Objective(s) and target(s)
To strengthen the skill level in the labour force by making access to CVET easier for individuals and companies.
- Year of implementation
- Year of latest amendment
Part of the AUB training fund
- Eligible group(s)
General conditions that apply:
- Must be employed at the time of applying for training.
- Educational background not exceeding general vocational training unless qualifications have not been in use for the past 5 years.
- Must be closely connected to the Danish labour market.
- Group(s) with preferential treatment
- Education and training eligible
Single subject courses or part time in programmes. IVET and CVET training.
- Source of financing and collection mechanism
AUB (See 'Training Fund' AUB)
matching: individual or a company (the latter in case individual is paid wages during the training period)
- Financing formula and allocation mechanisms
If the individual is paid during the training period the company applies for reimbursement (see 'Training Fund' AUB). If the individual is not paid during the training period, it is up to the employee to apply for wage compensation.
Wage compensation: up to DKK 3 308 per week (DKK 3 308 per week amounts to 80% of the highest unemployment insurance benefit rate).
Covering travel costs: DKK 1.03 per travelled kilometer to and from the school (the learners pays him/herself for the first 24 km travelled and can maximum be reimbursement for 576 km travelled per day).
Allocation: The reimbursement is transferred directly to the learners bank account. Before the costs are reimbursed the school have to report on any absence during the training period, which will not be reimbursed. Members of unemployment insurance funds receive the reimbursement from the specific fund, while learners who are not members of any unemployment insurance fund receive the reimbursement from the National Agency for Quality and Supervision (part of the Ministry of Education). If the learner is payed during the training period, the wage reimbursement goes directly to the company.
- Eligible costs
Wage compensation, travel costs
- Volumes of funding
In 2013 (latest available numbers) DKK 1 086 000 were used fo wage compensation to either companies or individuals. DKK 103 000 000 were used to cover travel costs.
- Organisation responsible for monitoring/evaluation
The responsible body is the Quality and Supervision Agency, under the Ministry of Education.
- Monitoring/evaluation reports available
- Most relevant webpage - in English
- Most relevant webpage - local language
- Recent changes
VEU allowance has been reduced by around 20% as of February 2011. Other minor changes and amendments have been made to streamline the scheme