Tax allowable professional expenses
- Name of the instrument - Local language
- Name of the instrument - English translation
- Tax allowable professional expenses
- Type of instrument
- Tax incentive for individuals
- Type of entry
- Single instrument
- Short description
Adults can deduct costs related to their continuing vocational training for their current or future occupation from the base of their individual income tax. The public co-funding – in the form of foregone tax revenues - equals to the eligible costs multiplied by the marginal tax rate (between 36.5 and 50% in 2014). No ceiling is introduced for the amount/share of training costs to be deducted.
Individuals with non-taxable income (below EUR 11 000) cannot profit from this scheme. No comprehensive statistical information on beneficiaries and volumes of funding is available.
- Short description of the related instruments
- Level of operation
- Name of a part of the country
- Name of the region (for regional instruments)
- Name of the sector (for sectoral instruments)
- Key scheme
- Legal basis
§ 16 Abs 1 Z 10 EStG - (Einkommenssteuergesetz; act on income tax)
- Year of implementation
- Year of latest amendment
Locally responsible tax collection office (under the authority of the Federal Ministry of Finance).
- Eligible group(s)
Individuals paying income tax (that means: those with low income - below EUR 11 000 net - do not benefit from the scheme).
- Group(s) with preferential treatment
- Education and training eligible
Training relevant for the current profession or comprehensive retraining.
- Source of financing and collection mechanism
State (loss of tax revenue)
- Financing formula and allocation mechanisms
Allocation: reduction of a tax base.
- Eligible costs
Fees and other costs related to education and training (costs for teaching materials and professional literature, travel and accommodation costs, costs of a computer).
- Frequency of the use
- Volumes of funding
- Beneficiaries/take up
The volumes of tax refunds are estimated at more than EUR 50 000 000.
- Organisation responsible for monitoring/evaluation
Federal Ministry of Finance.
- Monitoring/evaluation reports available
- Most relevant webpage - in English
- Most relevant webpage - local language
Bundesrepublik Österreich (2015) Gesamte Rechtsvorschrift für Einkommensteuergesetz 1988, Fassung vom 16.04.2015. Wien. Online: https://www.ris.bka.gv.at/GeltendeFassung.wxe?Abfrage=Bundesnormen&Gese…
Bundesministerium für Finanzen (2006) 1. Wartungserlass 2006 betreffend EStR 2000. Wien. Online: https://findok.bmf.gv.at/findok?execution=e1s1&dokumentId=5eef3e5b-bfba…
Bundesministerium für Finanzen (2007) EStR 2000 - Wartungserlass 2007. Wien. Online: https://findok.bmf.gv.at/findok?execution=e2s1&dokumentId=30615e35-cc21…