The Council has adopted the Resolution on a European strategy for mulilinguism.
The Council invites the Member States and the Commisison to:
- Promote multilingualism with a view to strengthening social cohesion, intercultural dialogue and European construction
- Strengthen lifelong language learning
- Better promote multilingualism as a factor in the European economy's competitiveness and people's mobility and employability
- Promote the linguistic diversity and intercultural dialogue by stepping up assistance for translation, in order to encourage the circulation of works and the dissemination of ideas and knowledge in Europe and across the world
- Promote EU languages across the world
Reference: 2905th Education, Youth and Culture Council meeting, Brussels, 20 November 2008