The 2018 key competences framework
Following the review of political, social, economic, ecological and technological developments since 2006, especially in areas such as multilingualism, cultural diversity, communication, migration, sustainability issues and citizenship, the 2018 Council recommendation on key competences for lifelong defines eight key competences:
- mathematical, science, technology and engineering;
- personal, social and learning;
- cultural awareness and expression.
Cedefop has supported the review process with its expertise, including:
- an insight into the extent to which the framework played a role in VET (Cedefop ReferNet 2016 reports on key competences in VET);
- information on policy developments (Cedefop (2015). Stronger VET for better lives: Cedefop's monitoring report on vocational education and training policies 2010-14).
- a position paper offering Cedefop’s views on the future framework.