According to the new legislation, both IVET and CVET are used in formal VET. IVET is provided at EQF/NQF levels 2-5, while CVET is offered at levels 4-5.
Reasons for the current low share of apprenticeship training in Estonia:
- VET in Estonia is traditionally school-based;
- enterprises often don’t acknowledge themselves as education providers;
- lack of cooperation between different stakeholders;
- the society, including enterprises and potential students, does not have enough information about the study opportunities and consequently the potential to provide work-based learning is reduced;
- the majority of Estonian enterprises are small or micro-sized.
However, it is essential to note that the situation is rapidly changing especially due to the actions taken under ESF programme PRÕM and the Erasmus+ project “National Authorities for Apprenticeships: Implementing Work Based Learning in Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia (WBL-Balt)". The number of companies that are ready to provide training is growing.