The revised national youth strategy was approved at the end of 2013 and should be adopted by the national assembly during 2014. The strategy gives the main framework, defines the vision, objectives and priorities for development of the young people in the country. It addresses the 15 to 29 year-olds.
The strategy outlines the situation for young people and details nine strategic objectives.
- Promotion of economic activity and career development of young people.
- Improving access to information and quality services.
- Promoting a healthy lifestyle.
- Prevention of social exclusion of young people with fewer opportunities.
- Development of youth volunteering.
- Increasing civic activity.
- Development of young people in small towns and rural areas.
- Development of intercultural and international dialogue.
- Increasing young people’s role in crime prevention.
The strategy will help reach objectives of the national development programme Bulgaria 2020:
- 75% of the population aged 20 to 64 in full employment;
- investments in scientific and innovation activities reach 3% of GDP;
- 30% of young people have higher education;
- Reduce numbers of children at risk of poverty.
· The strategy is based on analysis of young people’s situation in Bulgaria, achievements in fulfilling objectives and tasks related to young people’s development during 2011 and 2012, and analysis of strengths and weaknesses, opportunities and threats related to youth policy development.