Since the beginning of 2014, nine sectoral practical training centres (sektoriniai praktinio mokymo centrai, SPTCs) have been officially opened. It is foreseen to establish 42 SPTCs overall. SPTCs aim to assure that learners gain practical skills matching labour market needs, using the latest technologies and equipment.
These centres will be open to students from VET, higher education institutions, employees from sector enterprises, vocational teachers and others. The centres will concentrate on technologies in specific sectors.
- retail and wholesale sector: SPTCs were opened at Vilnius tourism and commerce school and Panevėžys trading and service business school. These centres provide students with an opportunity to learn how to use modern equipment, including simulation shops for training and e-commerce systems;
- hotel and restaurant sector: SPTCs were opened in Kaunas food industry and trade training centre and Panevėžys labour market training centre. A hotel-restaurant in Kaunas’ old town, which is intended for training purposes, features seven hotel rooms, a training restaurant and kitchen, conference hall and classrooms for theoretical training. Panevėžys’ centre has a modern equipped kitchen, a training bar-restaurant, new cleaning equipment, equipped classrooms for training in cleaning, laundry and drying;
- food sector: an SPTC was established at Kaunas food industry and trade training centre. It features modern confectionary and meat training laboratories. The following equipment is available in the laboratories: unique baking equipment for the Polish-Lithuanian traditional tree-like cake šakotis, the largest wood-fired oven in Lithuania for training students on how to bake traditional bread and cakes according to our ancestors’ recipes, etc.;
- beauty sector: an SPTC ’Modus’ for hairdressers, beauticians and other trainees in the beauty business was set up at King Mindaugas VET centre. The centre has classrooms for hair-cutting, cosmetics, manicure, pedicure, body massage, spa, make-up and permanent make-up, cutting, sewing and handicrafts, appearance style, photography and floral studios;
- transport sector: an SPTC was opened for two Panevėžys VET institutions, namely Panevėžys labour market training centre and Panevėžys VET centre. The SPTC covers more than six hectares and half the area is occupied by sites for practical driving training. It also features two slippery artificial tracks, a special slope that is kept watered to imitate damp ice, two water barriers (fountains) up to two metres high, and there are also facilities for training tractor drivers and training in logistics, etc.;
- agricultural sector: an SPTC operates in Alanta. The centre follows modern agriculture and organic farming standards and has a training farm with sheep and heifers, a reconstructed vegetable storage premises with a modern ventilation system, new premises for smithy, welding, locksmith, mechanical treatment of metal, a newly built bio-boiler room using agricultural production waste, a new grain warehouse, grain cleansing equipment, a grain drying room and four storage towers with an active ventilation system, etc.;
- textile sector: in western Lithuania, an SPTC in textile production was opened at Klaipėda dressmaking and service business school. The centre trains tailors, clothing cutters-constructors and modellers and is equipped with the following modern equipment: sewing machines for thin and thick fabrics, leather and fur, embroidery and pocket sewing machinery, garment finishing equipment, ironing mannequin, press and others.