Proposal for a Council Decision on the signature/conclusion of the Agreement between the European Community and the government of Canada establishing a framework for co-operation in the fields of higher education, training and youth.
COM(2006) 274 final
The general objectives of this Agreement shall be to:
- Promote mutual understanding between the peoples of the European Union and Canada including broader knowledge of their languages, cultures and institutions;
- Improve the quality of human resources in both the European Community and Canada, by facilitating the acquisition of skills required to meet the challenges of the global knowledge-based economy.
The specific objectives of the Agreement shall be to:
- Reinforce a European Community and a Canadian value-added dimension to transatlantic cooperation in higher education, training and youth;
- Contribute to transatlantic exchanges between citizens of both the European Union and Canada;
- Contribute to the development of higher education and training institutions, as well as youth structures and organisations;
- Promote and/or enhance partnerships among stakeholders active in the areas of higher education, training and youth in the European Community and Canada;
- Contribute to the professional development of individuals while achieving the general objectives of the Agreement;
- Develop opportunities for dialogue and exchanges on youth policy and youth work.