The objective of the workshop is to discuss, validate and complement the results of Cedefop's study ‘The role of loans in financing vocational education and training in Europe’. The study reviews the main features of loans across all EU Member States plus EFTA/EEA and candidate countries. Furthermore, in a comparative perspective it assesses implementation of loans in eight selected Member States: Austria, Finland, France, Hungary, the Netherlands, Poland, Sweden and the UK.
In particular the workshop aims to:
- gain better understanding of the extent to which loans are used to finance vocational education and training in Europe (mapping exercise)
- explain how loans operate
- evaluate the implementation of loans in terms of efficiency, equity, effectiveness, impact and sustainability
- reflect on the potential impact of the financial and economic crisis
- provide policy recommendations and identify issues for further research
The workshop will bring together education, training and loan experts from academia, financial institutions, governments and European institutions.
To strengthen mutual learning, the representatives of non-EU countries will contribute to the discussion.