Communication from the Commission to the Council, the European Parliament, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions : A Roadmap for equality between women and men 2006-2010
COM(2006) 92 final
This Roadmap outlines six priority areas for EU action on gender equality for the period 2006-2010:
- equal economic independence for women and men;
- reconciliation of private and professional life;
- equal representation in decision-making;
- eradication of all forms of genderbased violence;
- elimination of gender stereotypes;
- promotion of gender equality in external and development policies.
For each area, it identifies priority objectives and actions. The Commission cannot alone achieve these objectives, as in many areas the centre of gravity for action lies at Member State level. Thus, this Roadmap represents the Commissions commitment to driving the gender equality agenda forward, reinforcing partnership with Member states, and other actors.
This Roadmap builds on the experience of the Framework Strategy for equality between women and men for the period 2001-2005. It combines the launch of new actions and the reinforcement of successful existing activities. It reaffirms the dual approach of gender equality based on gender mainstreaming (the promotion of gender equality in all policy areas and activities) and specific measures.