Youth Specialisation Studies Scheme
- Name of the instrument - Local language
- Skema għaż-żgħażagħ fuq studju specjalizzat
- Name of the instrument - English translation
- Youth Specialisation Studies Scheme
- Type of instrument
- Type of entry
- Single instrument
- Short description
The scheme is aimed at supporting young people aged between 18 and 30 years old who wish to pursue their studies abroad or through distance learning in the fields of study not available in Malta. The State regulates and subsidises interest rate. The loans are provided by a partner bank. The repayment is income-contingent.
- Short description of the related instruments
- Level of operation
- Name of a part of the country
- Name of the region (for regional instruments)
- Name of the sector (for sectoral instruments)
- Marginal scheme
- Legal basis
No legal basis underpinning the scheme.
- Objective(s) and target(s)
To support young people who wish to pursue their studies abroad or through distance learning in fields of study not provided in Malta.
- Year of implementation
- Year of latest amendment
Partnership between government agency (Aġenzija Żgħażagħ - Youth Agency) and APS Bank; the loans are provided by APS Bank, government subsidises interest rate.
- Eligible group(s)
Maltese nationals aged between 18 and 30 years.
- Education and training eligible
Training ourses not offered or provided in Malta.
Preference is given to courses in the following areas: aerospace, health and biotechnology, digital games production, environment, agriculture and marine studies, youth work, sport, nature conservation, the arts and specialised restoration.
- Source of financing and collection mechanism
Financial institution (current financing - providing loans)
State (interest rate subsidy)
individual (repayment from future income)
- Financing formula and allocation mechanisms
Maximum loan amount: EUR 30 000 in total; minimum amount: EUR 10 000 for students.
Repayment: income-contingent; starts directly after graduation; students pay a rate of interest of 1%, i.e. lower than the standard rate (standard interest rate rate: Bank's Base Rate plus 1.75% p.a., currently 4% p.a.; interest subsidy of 3% is payable by Aġenzija Żgħażagħ and 1% by the candidate during the moratorium period).
- Eligible costs
- Frequency of the use
- Volumes of funding
- Beneficiaries/take up
- Organisation responsible for monitoring/evaluation
Aġenzija Żgħażagħ (Youth Agency).
- Monitoring/evaluation reports available
- Most relevant webpage - in English
- Most relevant webpage - local language
- Recent changes
Re-launched in 2014 - no major amendments.