To identify and anticipate future skill needs and potential skill mismatches, Cedefop undertakes various European level research activities. It produces regular skill supply and demand forecasts for Europe and analyses the potential labour market imbalances. Cedefop also investigates skill and competence needs in selected sectors and explores a common European approach to enterprise surveys on changing skill needs. Cedefop also animates Skillsnet, a network of experts in the field of early identification of skills needs. All these activities support implementation of the European Commission’s flagship initiative: an agenda for new skills and jobs.
- Forecasting skill needs: Cedefop produces regular skill supply and demand forecasts for Europe and analyses the potential labour market imbalances.
- Analysing skill mismatch: Cedefop carries out theoretical and empirical research to provide policy makers with evidence and possible implications.
- EU Skills Panorama: Cedefop feeds and develops further a central access point for data information and intelligence on skill needs in occupations and sectors across Europe
- Skills for the green economy: Cedefop investigates the impact environmental and climate change policy, low-carbon technologies and environmental awareness have on future skills within and across sectors.
- Skill needs in sectors: Cedefop also investigates skill and competence needs in selected sectors, to enrich knowledge on future skill needs in Europe by complementary qualitative and quantitative information.
- Employers’ survey: Cedefop explores a common European approach to enterprise surveys on changing skill needs, to identify and analyse skill, competence and training needs at the workplace.
Work is carried out in close cooperation with members of Cedefop’s Skillsnet network.