To inform the design of VET and employment policies, Cedefop identifies and anticipates future skill needs and potential skill mismatches. It provides high quality evidence on trends in the labour market and skill needs by producing regular skill supply and demand forecasts for Europe and analysing the potential labour market mismatches and imbalances. Cedefop also investigates skill and competence needs in selected sectors, has collected its own European data on skills and jobs and is currently working on collecting and analysing data on skill demand using online job postings. All data and intelligence is delivered it to end-users in a fit-for-purpose and timely fashion via the Skills Panorama.
- Assisting EU countries in skills matching: In 2017 Cedefop began to provide technical advice to countries asking for its support to improve their ‘governance of skills anticipation and matching’. In doing so, Cedefop works to identify country-specific challenges, bottlenecks and policy solutions for achieving effective skills governance.
- Big data analysis from online vacancies: Cedefop is joining forces with Eurostat and DG EMPL to develop a fully -fledged EU-wide system to collect and analyse data on skill demand using online job postings.
- European Company Survey: Cedefop and Eurofound are sharing expertise and resources to carry out the next European Company Survey. The survey will explore the strategies deployed by companies to meet their skill needs, through recruitment, HR development practices and work organisation. In this context, special emphasis will be put on the impact of digitalisation.
- European skills and jobs (ESJ) survey: is the first survey on skill mismatch carried out in the EU28 Member States, examines drivers of skill development and the dynamic evolution of skill mismatch in relation to the changing complexity of the tasks and skills required in people’s jobs.
- Forecasting skill demand and supply: Cedefop produces regular skill supply and demand forecasts for Europe and analyses the potential labour market imbalances.
- Skills Panorama: Cedefop manages a unique central access point for data information and intelligence on skill needs in occupations and sectors across Europe.
Work is carried out in close cooperation with members of Cedefop’s Skillsnet network.