The online application is no longer available. The deadline for submission of applications for 2014 intake was Monday 2 June 2014 at 15.00 Greek time (CET+1).
The next traineeship intake will be announced in spring 2015.
For the intake of 2014 Cedefop offers 10 traineeships:
Introduction - aim of the traineeship scheme
Cedefop's traineeship scheme is mainly for young university graduates as well as PhD students, without excluding those who – in the framework of lifelong learning – have recently obtained a university diploma and are at the beginning of a new professional career.
Cedefop's in-service training aims to:
- provide university graduates and PhD students with a unique and first-hand experience of the workings of Cedefop, in particular, and of the EU institutions in general. In addition, it aims to provide an understanding of the objectives and goals of the EU integration processes and policies;
- enable such trainees to acquire practical experience and knowledge of the day-to-day work of Cedefop’s departments and services. To provide the opportunity to work in a multi-cultural, multi-linguistic and multi-ethnic environment contributing to the development of mutual understanding, trust and tolerance. To promote European integration within the spirit of new governance and through active participation to create awareness of true European citizenship;
- provide the opportunity to young university graduates to put into practice knowledge acquired during their studies and in particular in their specific areas of competence. To introduce these graduates to the professional world and the constraints, duties and opportunities therein.
Timing and duration of traineeships
There is one training period per year:
- from 1 October to end June;
A traineeship typically lasts 9 months.
Admission and selection of trainees
Trainees are selected only from nationals of the Member States of the European Union and of candidate countries. To see a list of the current candidate countries please refer to the following site:
Applicants for a traineeship must have completed the first cycle of a higher education course (university education) and obtained a full degree or its equivalent by the closing date for applications. The first university degree (e.g. bachelor) must be attached for your application to be valid. Masters, PhD, language certificates etc, may be attached for information.
Grading transcripts or diplomas that do not bear an official stamp and / or signature will not be accepted.
In order for the trainee to fully profit from the traineeship and to be able to follow meetings and perform adequately:
- candidates from Member States must have very good knowledge of at least two Community languages, of which one should be English;
- candidates from candidate countries must have very good knowledge of at least English.
Applicants are selected on the basis of qualifications and taking account of the operational priorities of Cedefop. Successful applicants are informed by the Human Resources Service of the exact dates of the training period.
Please note that admission to a traineeship does not confer on trainees the status of officials or that of other servants of the European Communities, nor does it entail any right or priority with regard to an appointment in the services of Cedefop.
Information on the online application
Applications must be made in accordance with the instructions published here on our website, using the online application form. Except in duly justified cases (e.g. disability) no hard-copy application will be accepted.
Please complete your form as early as possible as the system gets overloaded close to the deadline and there is a risk that your application might not be submitted successfully.
Once your application has been successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic acknowledgement e-mail with a protocol number (which should always be quoted in any subsequent contacts with Cedefop). In case you insert your application twice by mistake and you obtain two protocol numbers, please inform us by e-mail:
Please make sure that you include a valid e-mail address in your application as all further correspondence will be through e-mails.
All candidates who have received a protocol number will be notified of the outcome of their application by e-mail in due course.
Due to the large number of applications received, Cedefop will not answer individual queries concerning the outcome of applications.
Before you start your online application you must read the following information:
Applications must be accompanied by a scanned copy of the candidate's first university degree and curriculum vitae in English (preferably using the European format - see http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/ ). Diplomas issued in any of the official EU languages do not need a translation.
In the absence of a scanned copy of the university degree, an official statement from the university confirming the degree result and the completion of the bachelor studies must be attached. Copies of degrees or certificates that do not bear an official stamp and/or signature will not be accepted (i.e. web-page extracts).
Applications where either the university degree or the CV is missing will not be considered by Cedefop.
Please refer to the privacy statement for online traineeship applications
Organisation of the traineeship
Trainees are placed under the responsibility of a supervisor. The supervisor guides the trainee during his/her traineeship, acting as his/her mentor.
An evaluation report is completed at the end of the traineeship.
Trainees who have completed the minimum required traineeship period will receive a certificate specifying the dates of their training period in the relevant department.
Trainees are awarded a monthly maintenance grant. The amount of the grant is decided by Cedefop and revised on a regular basis depending on budgetary constraints.
Currently the amount of the grant is:
- EUR 991.71 per month for trainees from abroad (member states of the EU or candidate countries), as well as trainees residing in Greece who need to move to Thessaloniki for the duration of the traineeship.
- EUR 743.78 per month for trainees residing in Thessaloniki prior to the start of their in-service training.
Travelling expenses (within certain limits) are also reimbursed.
Disabled trainees may receive a supplement to their grant amounting to half the amount of the grant. The objective of this extra payment is to help disabled trainees to cover extra expenses such as transport, the cost of special accommodation etc which might be required due to their disability.
The online application is no longer available.
For additional information about the traineeship programme please refer to the rules governing in-service training at Cedefop and Annex I to the rules governing in-service training.